Author Notes: This is a fun recipe for Steak Roll Ups With Salsa, Manchego and Pepitas. Perfect for end of summer grilling! —Paige
pound Flank Steak
tablespoons Olive Oil
Juice and Zest of One Lime
tablespoon Of Minced Garlic
teaspoon Chili Powder
cup HERDEZ® Salsa Casera
cup Shredded Manchego Cheese
tablespoons Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
Salt and Pepper
Twine for Securing the Roll
- Remove flank steak from package and trim off any excess fat. You want to leave the marbling within the meat, but remove thick pieces of fat around the edges and any excess connective tissue. Transfer to a shallow dish that fits the whole piece of meat and season both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice and zest, garlic, chili powder and paprika. Pour over the steak allowing it to coat both sides.
- Refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least two hours or up to eight.
- Remove steak from the fridge when it's done marinating and allow to come to room temp. This would be a good time to preheat your grill. I like to heat one burner on medium-high and one on low just in case it starts getting too crispy.
- Using paper towels, soak up any excess marinade so the steak isn't too moist. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Start by spreading the HERDEZ® Salsa Casera all over the side of the steak facing up. On top of that, sprinkle on the manchego cheese followed by the pumpkin seeds. Lightly press the ingredients into the meat and get ready to roll.
- Cut 3 6-inch pieces of twine and have that ready beside you.
- Starting at the bottom of the flank steak, roll it up tightly, making sure the grain of the meat is running horizontally. When you get to the end, secure the roll with the cut pieces of twine and trim off any excess.
- Salt and pepper the outside of the roll one last time to your liking.
- Grill on the medium-high side of your grill about 5 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 135 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep an eye on it and move it to the cooler side of the grill if necessary.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing into 4 rounds.
- Serve alongside a big salad and cilantro-lime rice. Enjoy!
More Great Recipes: