Author Notes: adapted from smitten kitchen
Note1: Sugar. Use whichever sugar you like, maybe brown sugar with spices, honey and white sugar with a bit more salt, white sugar and vanilla for something traditional. Dennis prefers white sugar with cinnamon, I like brown sugar and molasses with nutmeg.
Note2: Preheating Oven. You can totally put this cake in an not quite hot oven. I like to turn the oven on, when I begin to mix the batter. If your oven is older/slower, you may want to start sooner.
Note3: Fruit. This cake works well with pears (the original, wonderful version by Deb Perelman), apples and other fruit. Adjust baking time accordingly. —sarah
Makes: 1 23cmø cake
grams AP Flour
teaspoon Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Brown your butter and let sit
- Prepare your plums and cut them into quarters or eighths, depending on size
- Whip eggs until airy and light in colour
- Add sugar and whip until mixture is homogeneous
- Alternately add butter and flour with baking powder and salt, fold in gently
- Pour into baking dish and top with plums, fit them as snugly as possible
- Bake for 45-60 mins