If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One very hot day, these were ingredients I had on hand; so, inspired by all the ice cream recipes I have ever read, this is the recipe I concocted. The touch of tequila combined with the lime juice adds a hint of flavor, reminiscent of sipping Margaritas on hot summer day!
Note: I once read somewhere (?) that cultured dairy such as yogurt or buttermilk will yield a softer ice cream; this ice cream’s consistency is on the soft side, and always holds together beautifully.
Update 2015: When I originally posted this recipe, five years ago, I used an ice cream maker, since then my method, for this recipe, has been modified - to making ice cream by hand.
Makes 1 quart
2 cups chilled heavy whip cream
1 C chilled 3.5% (preferred) buttermilk (but low fat is ok)
3/4 C granulated sugar
2-1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice - plus zest from 2 limes
1 tablespoon silver tequila
- INSTRUCTIONS for making ice cream w/o an ice cream maker:
- Freeze a freezer-safe bowl or loaf pan - stainless steel works well for this if you have one.
- Combine the buttermilk, sugar, lime and tequila in a bowl that has been placed over an ice bath, let sit until needed.
- Whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks, and then fold into the buttermilk mixture until incorporated.
- Place the incorporated mixture into your frozen bowl or pan.
- Chill in the freezer for about 20 minutes, as the edges start to freeze, stir the mixture with a spatula to break up the partially frozen ice cream. Return to the freezer.
- Stir the ice cream every 30 minutes until it is firmly frozen - as frozen as a soft ice cream will get; it may take 5-6 times.
- Store the ice cream in a covered freezer container until ready to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert