If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hearty & healthy! Low-calorie & low-fat, w/pinto beans, salsa verde, chilies, carrots, onions, garlic, & chicken. —Holly
For The Soup:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds), trimmed of fat & cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups green chile salsa - medium heat (or mild if preferred)
- 12 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 3 cans pinto beans
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
For The Garnish:
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- jalapeños, chopped or sliced
- sour cream
- Sauté onions, garlic and carrots in a large pot for 6 minutes.
- Season the veggies in the pot with 11/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 2 tablespoons cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain 1 can of pinto beans, rinse them, and smash with a fork into a paste in a small bowl. Add a little chicken stock to the beans when smashing and it will help with this step. Drain and rinse the other 2 cans of pinto beans and leave them whole. Set the beans aside.
- Add 3 small cans of diced green chiles and 2 cups of green chile salsa Verde (use a medium-spicy version or use mild if spice-averse) to the veggies and spices.
- Stir in 4 cups of homemade chicken stock, and bring the pot to a simmer.
- Add the whole and smashed pinto beans, let the soup come back up to a simmer.
- Next, season cubed chicken with 1 tablespoon cumin, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper then add to the soup.
- Cook for 10-15 more minutes, and temp chicken to be sure it has reached 165 degrees.
- Dish into soup bowls, and garnish with sour cream, cilantro, & jalapeños.