If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a delicious dense sweet bread made with whole almonds and chunks of dates. You can also add chocolate chips. You can experiment with less sugar and wheat flour, though it's already quite dense. I use canned pumpkin because it's simpler, but cooked fresh pumpkins would be nice too.
I learned this recipe 46 years ago when I was a freshman in college, though I have absolutely no recollection of who gave it to me. —jeannieroseburg
Makes 3 large loaves
- 4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups cooked, pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 0.5 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 1 cup chopped dates
- Cream together sugar and softened butter
- add eggs and beat thoroughly
- stir in pumpkin (you can use canned pumpkin puree) and water. Stir together until well mixed.
- sift together: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon
- gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
- add the almonds and dates (and chocolate chips if you like)
- pour into 3 well-greased loaf pans
- let sit for 15 minutes
- bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until done
More Great Recipes:
Bread, Rolls & Muffins