This is a delicious dense sweet bread made with whole almonds and chunks of dates. You can also add chocolate chips. You can experiment with less sugar and wheat flour, though it's already quite dense. I use canned pumpkin because it's simpler, but cooked fresh pumpkins would be nice too.
I learned this recipe 46 years ago when I was a freshman in college, though I have absolutely no recollection of who gave it to me. —jeannieroseburg
- Makes 3 large loaves
cooked, pureed pumpkin
whole raw almonds
- Cream together sugar and softened butter
- add eggs and beat thoroughly
- stir in pumpkin (you can use canned pumpkin puree) and water. Stir together until well mixed.
- sift together: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon
- gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
- add the almonds and dates (and chocolate chips if you like)
- pour into 3 well-greased loaf pans
- let sit for 15 minutes
- bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until done