If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had to develop a no-egg, no dairy honey cake for the holidays since my godson is deathly allergic to eggs. The resulting cake ended up being lighter and moister and richer in flavor than most honey cakes. If you wish it to be totally vegan you can substitute date syrup for the honey. —Lisa Klein
Makes 1 10-inch bundt cake
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1.25 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet dessert wine
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup raisins soaked in 1/4 dessert wine
- zest of one large navel orange
- aquafaba from one 15.5 ounce can of chickpeas
- 2/3 cup rich honey (buckwheat or Greek) or date syrup
- 1/2 cup strong-brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1.25 cups canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in all of the wet ingredients EXCEPT for the aquafaba.
- Add the orange zest, almonds and raisins and mix through to distribute everything evenly.
- In a standing mixer, add the strained aquafaba and on high speed, whip the liquid for about 20 minutes. The liquid will first foam and then will whip up to resemble egg whites. You want them to be as stiff as possible so beat them until when you pull up the beater, the aquafaba holds onto the beater. (Do NOT make the aquafaba ahead – it will not hold.)
- Quickly fold the beaten aquafaba into the flour/raisin/nut mixture. Don’t worry that it will collapse.
- Spray a 10-inch straight-sided, non-stick tube pan with a non-stick spray with flour and quickly pour the batter into the pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for about 1.25 hours or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. It may take a little longer. Allow to cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes and then carefully turn it out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely. This can be made ahead and frozen. Just defrost completely before serving. Can be dusted with confectioner's sugar for serving if desired.
More Great Recipes: Cakes