If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have an after-dinner routine that I follow like clockwork every evening, and might even get annoyed if I'm not able to enjoy it. It involves a piece of fruit for dessert, followed by a lovely hot cup of coffee, and couch time with the family. In the summer, fruit is generally chilled, but in the fall, I become obsessed with fruit that is broiled, baked, steamy, cooked-in-some-manner, and this recipe hit the spot over and over again. The spice combo is vaguely caramel-like, and the apple itself gets luscious and custardy. —Jr0717
- 3 large apples
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Ground Ginger
- 1 cup Lemon Juice
- In a small bowl, combine all spices. Slice each apple in half across the midline of the apple, slice each half, and cut each half of slices in half one more time.
- For each apple, pull out a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the apple slices and close the foil packet. Crinkle the edges to form a bowl, and lay the slices into the foil, flesh-side exposed. Don't worry about some overlap.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of the lemon juice over each packet of slices, and sprinkle each generously with the spice blend. Close the foil packets, and place on a sheet pan.
- Broil until custardy and soft, approximately 20-25 minutes. Carefully unwrap the top of each packet, and feel free to enjoy your guiltless, indulgent creation straight from the packet or from a bowl. Feel free, too, to top with Greek yogurt (to keep it secretly healthy), or with ice cream or whipped cream (no one's judging!)