If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I traveled to Baja California from San Diego, I fell in love with a local treat: the humble fish taco. This Baja-Style Fish Tacos, uses sustainable species of fish cooked in Malaysian certified sustainable palm oil From the species of fish, to the sustainable Malaysian palm oil used to prepare it, it’s sustainable, healthy and delicious.
—Chef Gerard Viverito
Beer Batter Fish
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup beer
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless haddock, or other mild light fish, cut into 1-inch wide x 4-inch long strips
- 1- 2 tablespoons Malaysian Palm Oil, for frying
- 12 (6-inch) soft corn tortillas, warmed
- Mix the flour, salt and oregano together in a medium bowl. Gradually add the beer, whisking until the batter is smooth with no lumps. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat, add enough palm oil to reach a depth of 1/2-inch. Heat the oil until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F, or when the end of a wooden spoon sizzles when dipped into the oil.
- Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, dip the fish strips in the beer batter and coat on both sides. Let the excess batter drip off, then fry the fish in the hot palm oil until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side or an internal temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit is reached. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Tomato Salsa and and Crema
- 2 tablespoons Malaysian Palm Oil
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 serrano chili
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- For Crema: Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, grated lime rind, fresh lime juice and let flavors blend.
- For tomato salsa combine remaining ingredients and let sit to marry the flavors.
- Place a strip of fish in each tortilla, serve with lime wedges, salsa, crema,