If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In honor of Bob Dylan's Nobel in Literature, this cake is like the Village in the 60's: deep, rich and satisfying. This is a chocolate sour cream cake with caramel chocolate filling and chocolate caramel frosting.
A nod to Rose Levy Berenbaum for the buttercream frosting. —Jim Kennedy
Makes 1 cake
Caramel Chocolate Filling
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate, melted
- Combine milk and sour cream, set aside.
- Add water to sugar in saucepan. Using a candy thermometer, heat to 340 degrees, being careful to not let the temperature rise above that or it will burn.
- Carefully add 1/2 of cream mixture as it will spatter. Stir until combined, add the rest of the cream. Stir over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup caramel sauce and chocolate, stir until combined. Set aside.
Chocolate Sour Cream Cake with Chocolate Caramel Frosting
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sour milk (fermented or acidified)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons dark brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and line 2 9 inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cocoa, sour milk, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl with paddle, combine remaining dry ingredients.
- Add butter and half the cocoa mix, combine on low for 30 seconds. Increase to medium for 1 1/2 minutes.
- On low, add remaining cocoa mix gradually, then add chocolate.
- Mix on medium for 30 seconds to make sure all ingredients are combined well.
- Split batter into two pans, rotating and tapping to smooth and remove bubbles
- Bake 30-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes
- Remove from pan by inverting the cake, then place on greased wire rack with top up. Let cool completely.
- For chocolate caramel frosting: 6 oz chocolate 1/3 cup light brown sugar 1/4 cup cocoa 1/4 cup boiling water 2 sticks unsalted butter pinch salt 3/4 tsp vanilla extract 2 cups confectioners sugar 1 cup caramel sauce Melt chocolate with half of the sugar Mix hot water with cocoa, blend, then add chocolate and mix well. Beat butter on medium for 2 minutes. Add remaining sugar, beat for 2 minutes or until well-blended. Beat in salt and vanilla extract. Combine chocolate and caramel. Add chocolate mixture to bowl, beat on low for 1 minute. Add confectioners sugar on low until blended. Mix on medium for 2 minutes
- Slice cakes into layers. Whether making 3 or 4 layers, assemble cake with caramel filling in between layers.
- To frost, you may have to refrigerate for 15 minutes or so to stiffen mixture.
More Great Recipes: Cakes