If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This POW-erful salsa is from Cal Peternell's new book, A Recipe for Cooking. Eat it on toast with goat cheese, as Cal was introduced to it, or stirred into rice and roast vegetables, as a salad dressing, over fish, and so forth, as I have done. —Ali Slagle
Makes about 1/2 cup
- 5 fresh turmeric fingers (about 3 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons minced or grated ginger (about 1 inch piece)
- 1 chili, such as a serrano or jalapeño, seeded and diced tiny
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 or 2 limes
- Good olive oil, if needed
- Sugar, if needed
- Peel the turmeric and use a sharp knife to slice it in half lengthwise, and then across in very thin half moons. Mix the turmeric slices with the ginger, green chili, and salt, and squeeze in one or both limes, depending on how juicy they are. Stir well and allow the mixture to marinate for 30 minutes, then taste and adjust. If the turmeric is too intense or is bitter, I will sometimes add a teaspoon of oil, sugar, or both. Will keep, covered and refrigerated, for days.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!