If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We love the flavor of Shaoxing and our favorite weeknight dinner is roast chicken. It was only right we brought the two together. For a complete meal, serve with hot white rice and steamed veggies. —Cooks and Kid
Food52 Review: WHO: cooksandkid has a way with chicken—the husband and wife duo's Mojo Chicken was a contest winner.
WHAT: A golden brown, aromatic bird with not-so-typical seasonings.
HOW: Stuff a whole chicken with scallions, ginger, and garlic and brush with Shaoxing wine and sesame oil. Roast until bronzed all over.
WHY WE LOVE IT: The addition of Shaoxing wine and sesame oil gives this chicken a subtle nutty flavor we can’t get enough of—not to mention the scallions, ginger, and garlic (a whole head of it, to be exact). —The Editors
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hrs 30 min
5-6 lb whole chicken
teaspoons sesame oil
cup Shaoxing wine
tablespoons kosher salt
teaspoons white pepper
scallions, chopped in half
piece ginger, peeled and quartered (4 inches)
head of garlic, sliced crosswise
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, add sesame oil and Shaoxing, stir, and set aside. Combine salt and pepper in a tiny bowl or ramekin. This will make it easier to season the chicken.
- Place the chicken on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle 1/3 of the salt and pepper mixture in the cavity of the chicken. Then stuff the chicken cavity with the scallions, ginger, and garlic. Try to layer the aromatics as you put them in the chicken, break up the garlic a little bit if you need to. Sprinkle the remainder of the salt and pepper all over the outside of the chicken.
- While the chicken is breast side up, tuck the wing tips behind the chicken. Using a pastry brush, brush the chicken liberally with the shaoxing and sesame oil mixture.
- After the chicken is liberally brushed with the shaoxing, take what is remaining and pour it in the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together with butcher's twine.
- Roast for approximately 90 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165°F. Let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. Serve with hot white rice and steamed veggies.
- Your Best Weeknight Roast Contest Winner!