If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes 8 scones
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus a bit more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- Seeds of one vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- A healthy dollop of yogurt (like vanilla or plain), for serving
- Add the sugar, orange zest, and vanilla bean seeds to a large bowl and use your fingers to rub the zest and seeds into the sugar. Add the flours, baking powder, and salt to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the butter and use your fingers to press each cube of butter into a flat shard about the size of a quarter. Keep tossing the butter in the flour mixture to ensure that it is well coated. Stir in the cranberries.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture add add the buttermilk and heavy cream. Stir gently to combine, but don't worry if there are a couple of dry spots. It's best to not over mix this type of dough.
- Use your hands to knead the dough a couple of times in the bowl then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat the dough into a circle about 1-inch tall and 7- inches wide. Use a knife to cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Transfer the wedges to the baking sheet, brush each one with a bit of heavy cream and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until the scones are golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Enjoy warm with a dollop of yogurt if you'd like. These scones are best enjoyed on the day they are made.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!