If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last weekend was taken to Brunch at a restaurant called Secos in Houston and there was an addictive bread pudding lightly flavored with apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and condensed milk, with the softest puddingy texture, served with a tres leches sauce. It seemed a perfect assemblage of the simplest ingredients and I have been craving it ever since. Fortunately was able to recreate the experience very satisfactorily at home last night. Condensed milk is so sweet the pudding does not need any extra sugar, but feel free to fool around with the proportions of the milks if you like it sweeter or richer. You can use a pear instead of an apple. —Starmade
Serves 2 for brunch, 4 for dessert.
- 1 medium apple
- 1 tablespoon butter plus additional for baking dish
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
- 4 slices soft white bread
tres leches sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Butter a small round baking dish generously. Dice the apple and toss with the sugar. Melt a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan and saute the apple pieces gently for about five minutes until they are softened but not yet applesauce. Let cool while you beat the eggs vigorously together with the three milks, add vanilla and pour over the bread. Mix in the sauteed apple. Pour into pan and sprinkle a lot of cinnamon and a little nutmeg over. Place in fridge and let sit for an hour or more or overnight (if wanting it for brunch).
- When ready to cook, bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes. Take from oven while still a bit jiggly in centre. I used a water bath to keep it the custard ultra soft as in the restaurant version but it would probably be fine without.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and serve the pudding spooned into bowls with the sauce poured over it.