Author Notes: The cut of lard and the sweet taste of butter make this biscuit a go-to recipe for any dinner. Add sage, rosemary or another herb for additional flavor. —Jim Kennedy
Makes: 12 biscuits
cups AP Flour
tablespoons Baking Powder
teaspoon Sea Salt
tablespoons Unsalted Butter (additional to coat biscuits)
cup Buttermilk (add 1 tsp lemon juice to whole milk and rest for 10 mins if needed)
- Preheat oven to 450. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in bowl. Transfer ingredients to food processor. Cut butter and lard into 1 inch slices, place in flour mixture sideways to coat. Pulse until there are pea sized crumbs.
- Return to bowl, and with the tips of your fingers, press the larger pieces of butter or lard until smooth. Add milk and stir a spatula until the dough loosely comes together.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, shape into rectangle 10x6. Let rest for 15 minutes covered with a towel.
- Using 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place on baking sheet with parchment or silpat. Coat with melted butter and a sprinkle of salt.
- Bake for 12 mins or until golden brown.