If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This can be prepared a hundred different ways, using different gourds (acorn, summer, etc) with your favorite combination of stuffing ingredients and different added grains. I like the delicata squash, when I can find it, because it caramelizes so nicely. —Brian Coppola
- 3 Delicata squash, halved and cored
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 30 ounces low salt black beans, drained
- 3-6 ounces Mexican cheese blend
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 ounces minced roasted garlic
- 4 ounces diced hot chili peppers
- 1 pound chorizo, browned
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 450F; line a large, shallow baking pan with parchment paper.
- Wash and halve the squash, hollow them out with a large spoon rub the interiors with garlic and EVOO, and place hollow side up on the parchment (this is heresy; so what?)
- Roast for 20 minutes, then turn them over, sprinkle with EVOO, and roast for another 20 minutes; remove and turn hollow side up on a new piece of parchment on the same pan.
- Meanwhile, caramelize the onions in a large skillet or wok, adding in the red pepper about 3/4 of the way through. Reserve the mixture.
- Then, brown the chorizo in the same pan; add the onion/pepper mixture and heat through.
- Add the beans, hot pepper, spices, heat and mix for another 10-15 minutes.
- Stuff the squash with the mixture (can wait now, to heat and serve later).
- Heat through at 350F for 15 minutes, top with a cheese mixture and heat to melt, another 10 minutes.
- Serve with taco sauce or comparable topping (I use a homemade, no-sugar sauce) and sour cream.
- Inspired by: http://www.acouplecooks.com/chipotle-black-bean-stuffed-delicata-squash/
More Great Recipes: