Author Notes: This was a last minute, rush-home from work, absolutely delicious sarnie which is simple too. I roast my peppers by the batch on by BBQ - that way I get a lot done and get the sweet smokiness from the coals. Then I bag them, skin them, de-seed them and keep some flat, sprinkled with olive oil and salt and hidden at the back of the fridge. I use these in my sarnies and salads —Kitchen Butterfly
Olive oil, to grease pan
2 slices of bread (I used a rectangular piece torn from Turkish pide and sliced open)
1 roasted red pepper
Slices of fresh mozzarella
Salt, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Heat up a griddle pan and then lightly brush on some oil
- When the pan is hot, place one slice of bread on, layer on the mozzarella, followed by the red pepper, sprinkle some salt and pepper and then top with the other slice of bread.
- To flatten the sandwich, place a heavy pot/pan (with a clean bottom) on the sandwich and let toast for a minute or two till the underside is toasted.
- Carefully flip over and then repeat the weighting down with the pot/pan till both sides are toasted
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe