If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Better than the tinned stuff. —Caroline Lange
Makes 6 quarts popped popcorn
- 6 tablespoons oil (vegetable oil, coconut oil, bacon fat...) to pop kernels
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 6 tablespoons (melted) oil (vegetable oil, coconut oil, melted bacon fat, melted butter)
- Seasonings (like ranch seasoning, Cheddar powder, peanut butter powder, furikake, turmeric powder, coconut flakes, sesame seeds...)
- Salt to taste
- Heat the popping oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot with a lid over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, throw in a couple of kernels and cover the pot; when they pop, you're ready to go!
- Add the rest of the kernels, cover tightly, and, holding the lid to the pot, shake over the heat continuously until all of the kernels have popped.
- Remove from heat and empty popcorn into a large bowl, removing as many unpopped kernels as you can.
- Combine the oil with any seasonings you desire. If you're using a powder (like ranch seasoning), plan on about 1/4 cup of powder per quart of popcorn, reserving the last quarter cup. Toss the seasoned oil with the popcorn gently but thoroughly, so that all of the popcorn is coated. Shake on the reserved powder (or any heavy add-ins, like shredded coconut or sesame seeds) and toss to combine.
More Great Recipes: