If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This hearty breakfast combines savory cheese and pepper scones with a rich sausage cream gravy. The scones can be made in advance and frozen. —Ali
Cacio e Pepe Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- .5 teaspoons salt
- 1.5 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- .5 cups unsalted butter
- .5 cups heavy cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper. Cut the butter into slices. Add the butter into the dry mixture and either use a pastry cutter or your hands to incorporate the butter until it forms pea size chunks. Add the cheese and mix it in. Add the heavy cream and egg gently incorporating until all the flour/butter mixture is wet and sticks together in a shaggy dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a parchment lined baking sheet and form into a circle. Cut the dough into twelve pieces that radiate out from the middle of the circle. Gently separate each piece – you want just a bit of space between each scone so that they can rise.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops of the scones are golden brown. These can be frozen and reheated wrapped in aluminum foil at 350 degrees for about thirty minutes.
Cream Gravy with Sausage
- 6 link sausages, cooked and cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the flour a bit at a time, whisking constantly. The flour may clump a bit and that’s fine. Once all the flour is incorporated, add the milk slowly, continuing to whisk. Bring to a low simmer and cook until the gravy begins to thicken. Stir the entire time to keep the milk from burning. When the gravy is to your preferred consistency, take off the heat and add the sausage.
- Serve the cream gravy with sausage over one or more Cacio e Pepe scones, split in half. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Festive, Crowd-Feeding Breakfast
More Great Recipes:
Breakfast & Brunch