If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Potatoes and carrots sliced thin and topped with breadcrumbs, gruyere, swiss and goat cheese. Baked until the top is crispy and delicious. —Vicky | Things I Made Today
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound large carrots, peeled, then sliced on the diagonal to 1/8 inch thickness on the mandolin
- 1 pound ruset potatoes, peeled, then sliced to 1/8 thickness on the mandolin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup gruyere, shredded
- 1/2 cup swiss, shredded
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, combine cream, stock, thyme, salt, and a healthy pinch of black pepper. Stir in carrot and potato slices, and let sit for 5 minutes to soak. You can choose to split mixture in half and add potatoes to one and carrots to the other, but I found it easy to pick through it after the fact.
- In a small bowl, mix together garlic and shallots. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together gruyere and swiss cheese. Set aside.
- Generously grease the bottom of a 9 by 5 inch bread pan with butter. Pick up a small handful of potatoes and lay them in the bread pan with their edges on the diagonal. Next, layer a few pieces of carrot in the same manner. Sprinkle a bit of garlic and shallots on top, then a pinch of the cheese mixture. Repeat the process again, starting with potatoes, then carrots, then garlic/shallots, then cheese. Continue to work until all the vegetables have been used up and you've reached the other end of the bread pan. Pour about ½ of the remaining liquid from the potato/carrot bowl on top of the gratin. Top with any remaining gruyere/swiss cheese, then dollop goat cheese all over the top.
- Bake gratin for 45-60 minutes, until the top has browned and the vegetables are fully cooked through. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.