Adapted lightly from The Vanilla Bean Baking Book.
Editor's note: When we tested these cookies, we skipped the ground pistachios and replaced them with an equal amount (43 grams) of all-purpose flour. And the original recipe finishes the cookies with a lemon glaze made by whisking together 1 cup confectioner's sugar, the zest of a lemon, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, then adding 2 to 4 tablespoons of heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time, until you have a thin glaze. Spread each cooled cookie with glaze, then sprinkle with additional chopped pistachios. —sarah kieffer | the vanilla bean blog
- Makes 24 cookies
(43 grams) shelled pistachios
(284 grams) all-purpose flour
(57 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
(149 grams) granulated sugar
(29 grams) confectioners' sugar
good-quality olive oil
pure vanilla extract
- Place the pistachios in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until finely ground Add flour, baking soda, and salt and pulse until fully combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter on medium until creamy. Add the sugars (both white and confectioners') and beat on medium until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the olive oil and mix on low until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the egg and vanilla, mixing on low until combined. Add the flour and mix on low until combined.
- Gather the dough, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Heat the oven to 350° F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough to 1/4-inch thick. Using a 2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out circles. (Any dough scraps can be rewrapped and chilled while the cookies are baking.) Gently slide a metal spatula underneath each round and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. Place 12 cookies on each sheet. Put the first baking sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes. After the dough has chilled, put the first pan in the oven, then put the second pan in the freezer. Repeat with leftover dough.
- Bake on sheet at a time, 10 to 12 minutes, until cookies are just beginning to brown on the edges.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool completely on the pan. If desired, glaze as instructed in the headnote.