If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A soup filled with tomatoes, onions, garlic, red chile powder, hominy & chicken and topped with a crunchy cilantro lime slaw. —Sarah | Wisconsin from Scratch
Serves 4 generously
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 25 ounce can hominy, drained and rinsed well
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken (or turkey), chopped
- sliced avocado and hot sauce for serving
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, peeled into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Start by making the soup. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat, then add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook until vegetables start to soften, about 3-4 minutes, then add the chile powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, and lime juice and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the hominy and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, make the slaw by combining all slaw ingredients in a bowl and mixing well. Set aside while you finish the soup.
- After soup has simmered for 20 minutes, add the chicken, and bring back to a boil. Season to taste with additional salt if needed. Serve soup hot topped with the slaw, as well as sliced avocado and hot sauce.
More Great Recipes: