If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm not sure where my family would be if it weren't for my mom's love of this recipe from her mother-in-law, breaking the holiday tension year after year. It is simple in the truest form and makes the perfect holiday gift that leaves your friends and loved ones excitedly awaiting next year's batch. —Annie Clark
Makes: 108 1"x1" pieces, can vary by pan size
cups Brown Sugar
cup White Karo Syrup
Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Grease a large baking pan, I use 9"x12", and place parchment paper inside. Also grease the parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a pot.
- Mix in brown sugar and salt.
- Add in karo syrup untill combined and then the sweetened and condensed milk.
- Turn to medium heat and stir constantly.
- Continue to stir until the temperature of the caramels reaches 245 degrees Fahrenheit. To check without a thermometer, wait for caramel to boil (about 12 minutes) and drop a bit into a cup of cold water. If the candy can form into a ball it should be done.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into pan and allow to rest for around 2 hours.
- Remove parchment from pan and cut 1" strips and then 1" pieces. Wrap in squares of wax paper to gift or freeze.