If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: With a nod to Melissa Clark, this is a variation on corn bread. This skillet bread uses the flavors of maple syrup and brown butter to round out the flavor of wheat germ for a nice alternative. —Jim Kennedy
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 cup wheat flour
- 3/4 cup ap flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest of one orange
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In cast-iron pan, cook butter until light brown and foam subsides, being careful to not let butter get too dark.
- Pour butter into large bowl. Whisk in maple syrup, then buttermilk. When cool, whisk in eggs.
- In a separate bowl, add wheat germ, flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and zest. Whisk together.
- Combine dry ingredients into wet. Add back into cast iron pan, bake in pan for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool on rack for 15 minutes before inverting pan and placing on rack to cool completely.
More Great Recipes:
Bread, Rolls & Muffins