If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: With citrus season approaching and lots of cold weather you need something to have with your tea. These date + lemon scones are an unlikely pair that complete each other. Oat flour yields a tender scone along with not overworking the dough. —Fatimah Steele
Makes 7 scones
- 3/4 cup oat flour (blend oatmeal until fine)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flaxmeal + 2 tbsp water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4c cups cane sugar + some for sprinkling
- 8-10 pitted dates, chopped
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- zest of one lemon
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg for eggwash
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, dates and lemon zest in a bowl. Give it a quick stir. Next, add in your flax “egg” coconut oil and milk. Mix together and on a lightly floured surface flatten and shape into a square. Cut in half, place the halves on top of each other and repeat. Do this about three times, then cut into desired scone shape. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Place in the freezer for about 10 mins and then proceed to bake for 25-30 mins until golden. You can glaze or not, I usually go without, but seriously enjoyed a simple vanilla glaze on these.
More Great Recipes:
Breakfast & Brunch