Author Notes: This is one of my favorite recipes to make during the holidays because it reminds me of countless hours crowding my grandmother in the kitchen while she baked these traditional Italian biscotti to enjoy while opening presents! —Mario Batali
Makes: 4 to 5 dozen
cups all-purpose flour
cup unsweetened cocoa powder
teaspoon baking powder
cup hazelnuts, skin on
cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, and Amaretto.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the dough comes together, about 1 minute. Add the hazelnuts and chocolate chips and mix until just incorporated.
- Roll the dough into 3 logs about 10 inches by 2 inches and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes until light golden brown and remove from the oven.
- As soon as they are cool enough to handle, cut the logs into slight diagonal pieces 1/3-inch thick and arrange cut side down on the sheets. Lower the heat to 275° F, return the pieces to the oven, and bake 40 minutes longer, until crisp and dry. Allow to cool.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!