If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An incredibly simple and super moist cake made with four boiled and pureed oranges. —Vicky | Things I Made Today
- 4 medium oranges
- butter for greasing pan
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup almonds, ground
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Wash oranges well. Place oranges inside a large pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, lower heat to simmer, and cover. Simmer for 2 hours, turning oranges occasionally if they're floating above the water line.
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan with butter and preheat the oven to 350F.
- When oranges are cooked, transfer them to a cutting board, reserving orange water. Let cool until they're okay to touch, then cut into large pieces and remove any seeds you see.
- Transfer oranges to a food processor and puree until smooth. If mixture is really dry, add a bit of orange water to loosen, although it's unlikely you'll need much. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together eggs and sugar until they are light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in vegetable oil and beat for 30 seconds. Add in orange puree and beat on low until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine baking powder, almonds, flour, and salt. Pour dry ingredients into mixer bowl and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your greased springform and bake for 45-75 minutes, until a cake tester comes out mostly clean from the center of the cake. Let cake cool completely.
- Use a knife to run along the edges of the springform, then remove the sides and transfer cake to a cake stand or plate. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.