Author Notes: A traditional Gingerbread Cake that is quick and easy to make.
The combination of golden syrup, cinnamon and our Organic Blackstrap Molasses results in a slightly sweet and lightly spiced flavour. We have made ours in a Bundt cake mould but it can also be made in a simple loaf tin. Either way you will end up with the lovely dense, but light texture, which is what makes this cake so delightful.
You can enjoy it with a dollop of yogurt or cream, and it is perfectly paired with a scraping of our 100% Grass Fed Organic Salted Butter. —Organic Times
Serves: 35 small serves
grams Organic Times Organic Salted Butter
cup Organic Times Rapadura Sugar
grams Organic Times Organic Blackstrap Molasses
teaspoons Ground cinnamon
teaspoon Ground cloves
teaspoons Ground ginger*
teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda dissolved in 2 tbsp. water
milliliters Plain yoghurt
grams Plain flour
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced).
- Line a large rectangular baking dish with baking paper or grease with butter.
- Melt butter, sugar, syrup, molasses, and spices together in a pan over low heat.
- Remove from heat, add yoghurt, beaten eggs, and dissolved bicarbonate of soda.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and pour the combined liquid from the saucepan into the bowl, mixing well so all flour is combined.
- Pour into the baking tin and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Once cooked, pull out of the oven, let the gingerbread cool and then cut into required squares.
- Lightly dust with icing sugar when serving.