Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cat Cake
January 14, 2017
- Makes 1 cake
No special equipment, no mold, no fondant. If you have an 8x8 pan, you can make this meow-some cake! Vegan and GF. Click to second photo for
cake adapted from my baking addiction, frosting from very well —AnnieCate
What You'll Need
1 1/2 cups
unsweetened unflavored almond milk
light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups
well sifted cup-to-cup GF flour (like Bob's)
1 1/4 cups
mini chocolate chips
non-dairy non-soy butter spread, softened
2 1/2 cups
beet juice, matcha, cocoa powder, cinnamon
small scoop of chocolate chips
- Line an 8X8 pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350
- Combine the zucchini, almond milk, flax eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Swirl in the chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 for 35-38 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting and assembling.
- Beat the non-dairy spread, the powdered sugar, and the vanilla together.
- Layer on a thin crumb coat and then top coat You'll still have plenty of frosting remaining.
- Divide up the remaining frosting. Dye some of it pink with beet juice for the ears. Dye a smaller potion green for the eyes. Cinnamon for the light brown fur and cocoa for the dark brown fur.
- frost on the ears
- For the eyes and mouth, you'll be drawing with chocolate. It's super easy, I promise. First, use a pencil to draw the eyes and mouth and whiskers on a piece of scrap paper. Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the scrap paper.
- Place some chocolate chips (about 1/4 cup) in a sealable plastic bag. Heat some water in the microwave and then immerse the bag in the hot water until the chips fully melt.
- Cut a very small tip off the bag and pipe the chocolate over the parchment paper, tracing the eye + mouth + whisker drawings you made earlier. Allow to harden.
- Gently peel off the chocolate and place it on the cake. Fill in the eyes with green frosting and then add the pupils (more chocolate)
- Frost on the light and dark brown fur as desired.
- Serve with love.
See what other Food52ers are saying.