Author Notes: Wheat bread infused with honey and orange, making it perfect to slather with marmalade or jam —Sarah | Wisconsin from Scratch
Makes: 2 loaves
cups warm water
cup orange juice
In This Recipe
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, combine the warm water, orange juice, honey, and yeast. Stir to mix well, then let sit for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or large mixing bowl), combine the whole wheat flour, white flour, and salt. With the paddle mixer attachment (or a large wooden spoon, if not using a stand mixer), mix the flours until just combined. Give the yeast mixture a good stir and add it to the flour mixture, continuing to stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Switch to the dough hook (or dump dough out onto a well floured countertop and start kneading). Knead dough until it feels elastic and passes the windowpane test*, about 8-10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth or plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until roughly double in size, about 1-1.5 hours.
- Grease two standard loaf pans. Dust your countertop with flour and place risen dough on top of it. Using a knife or bench scraper, cut the dough into two equal pieces, shape them into loaves, and place them into your prepared pans. Cover again and let rise in a warm place for another 1.5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover bread loaves, transfer to oven, and bake until tops of loaves are golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped, about 40-50 minutes. Once they are finished baking, remove loaves from their pans and cool on a wire rack before slicing and eating.