If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A punny breakfast in the form of Irish Breakfast Sandwiches: Irish cheddar, breakfast sausages and eggs between two pieces of buttered brown bread heated up in a pan until the bread is crisp and the cheese is melted. Served with baked beans, they make the perfect hand-held version of an Irish breakfast. —Michelle Barry
- 5 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 8 pieces brown bread – homemade or store bought.
- 1 cup Irish cheddar, grated
- 4 eggs
- 4 Irish breakfast sausages
- 2 tablespoons milk (whole or 2%, half and half also works)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Worcestershire, HP or hot sauce, if you like
- Cook the sausages. The sausages can be cooked over medium high heat in a sauté pan for about 10 minutes or until you slice into one and no pink remains. If you have a meat thermometer, 165F is what you are looking for here. I like to cook mine in a cast iron under the broiler for easy clean up.
- Cook the eggs. Beat the eggs and milk together and add salt and pepper to taste. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons of the butter until it becomes foamy. Add the eggs and scramble. I take mine out of the pan when they are fluffy but still moist as they will be cooked a little bit more in the sandwiches.
- Once the sausages and eggs are cooked, set them aside and use the remaining butter to butter each piece of brown bread on one side. Top the other side of the brown bread with about 1/8 cup of grated cheese. Now, cut your sausages in half horizontally. Place sausage pieces on top of half of the pieces of bread and top of each of the remaining pieces of bread with an equal portion of eggs.
- At this point you should have butter, bread, cheese, sausage on four halves and butter, bread, cheese, eggs on four halves.
- Heat your non-stick skillet over medium heat until pan is quite hot. Place sausage topped bread pieces butter side down in the hot skillet and egg topped pieces, butter side up on top. Gently press sandwiches together with a spatula. After a couple of minutes, turn the heat down to medium low and cover the pan. Cook for two more minutes. Turn the heat back up to medium and use a spatula to press down gently on the sandwiches again just before flipping to cook on the other side. After a couple more minutes, turn the heat down to medium low again and place a lid on the pan. Cook for two more minutes, remove the lid, check the sandwiches for crisp bread and melty cheese. If they look done, remove from the pan.
- Cut in half and serve with baked beans, Worcestershire, HP, or hot sauce.