If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: With summer fading, it's time to think of cool weather comfort meals, and for me, meatloaf is one of them. For special occasions, I use ground brisket to create a spicy seasoned roulade style meatloaf, stuffed with roasted red pepper, cheese and olives, and then top it with a pepper sauce. A take off my Italian Braciole, a delicious meatloaf and excellent sandwiches the next day! **This recipe was runner-up in a Whole Foods Market contest. —lapadia
THE RED PEPPER SAUCE
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large, sweet roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/3 cup crushed tomato
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grill or broil the peppers until the skins are evenly charred and blistered. Cool in a paper bag, and when cool enough peel off the skin and chop the flesh in strips. Blend the onion and roasted peppers in a food processor and add to a saucepan heated with olive oil, cook for about 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, salt and pepper to taste. Take out the bay leaf, set aside until needed.
- 3 lbs ground brisket – most butchers are happy to grind brisket for you
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder, oregano and red pepper flakes
- Grindings of black pepper (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup red pepper sauce (recipe above)
- FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 15 small pimento stuffed Manzinalla green olives
- 2 roasted red peppers – halved lengthways and cut into strips
- 1 lb. shredded smoked mozzarella (depending on your preference the whole LB. might not be used)
- Combine the ground brisket and ingredients – onion through black pepper in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients; mix thoroughly.
- Lay out 1 large sheet of parchment paper. Spread the meat mixture into a 12 by 15 inch rectangle on the paper. Arrange the parsley over the surface. Scatter the olives and then the roasted pepper over the parsley; add a layer of the cheese on top.
- Using the parchment as an aid and starting from the short side, roll the meat jelly roll style. Peel back the paper as you roll. Press on the meat roll lightly to seal and place in the bottom of a broiling pan that has been lined with foil. Pour a coating of red pepper sauce (recipe above) over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven 1 hour 10 minutes. Place a layer of cheese on top (optional) and continue baking 15 minutes longer. Let sit 20 minutes before serving. Serve the roulade with warm red pepper sauce.