If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A Chinese New Year favorite, these Pineapple cookies (or tarts, whatever you want to call it) are great all throughout the year. The buttery, flaky exterior of the cookie goes perfectly with the zesty tang of the pineapple jam — yum! The recipe makes about 40 cookies. Part of the recipe was inspired by http://nasilemaklover.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-best-melt-in-mouth-pineapple-tarts.html —tara
- 3 pounds pineapples (or 1.5 whole pineapples)
- 2 sprigs cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- Skin pineapple, remove eyes and seeds. Cut pineapple into chunks and process them into pulp.
- Strain processed pineapple pulp — keep the pineapple juice — and put the pulp into a small saucepan.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, and anise into the saucepan. Stir frequently. Add sugar. Over medium heat, heat the pulp until it reduces into a jam. Keep adding the pineapple juice bit by bit. This should take about 30 minutes.
- After the pulp has been reduced, Add juice from half a lemon into the jam. You can also add honey to darken the jam.
- Put the jam into a jar or airtight container. It should keep for about a week.
- When ready to use, roll bits of the jam into 8g pineapple balls.
- 175 grams unsalted butter
- 100 grams condensed milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 200 grams flour
- Using a mixer, blend the butter and condensed milk well.
- Add the egg yolk, and mix it in.
- Bit by bit, mix in the flour until dough becomes malleable but not sticky.
- Separate out the dough into 10 - 12g chunks.
- Roll them into a ball, and flatten them. Put an 8g pineapple ball into the center of the dough and roll up the sides. Now roll them so it becomes a ball.
- Brush the pineapple cookies with egg wash, and bake them for 25 minutes at 330 degrees farenheit.
- Leave to cool. Once it's cooled, it can be kept for a few days but best eaten fresh. Enjoy!