If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Luscious spaghetti carbonara with pureed butternut squash. —Julie Andrews
ounces whole grain spaghetti
cups cubed butternut squash (about 1 medium squash)
strips bacon, chopped
teaspoons coarse salt + more to taste
teaspoons ground black pepper + more to taste
Pinch cayenne pepper
large egg yolks
cups unsalted chicken stock (optional)
cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
cups fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Cook pasta in a stock pot according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water, then drain the rest.
- Meanwhile, place butternut squash cubes and ¼ cup water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 4-5 minutes, until very tender. Place cooked squash in a blender with reserved pasta water and puree until very smooth.
- Heat stock pot to medium heat. Add bacon pieces and cook, stirring regularly, until crispy. Remove bacon with a spoon and place on a paper towel. Drain most of the bacon fat. Pour pureed squash into the stock pot. Stir in cooked spaghetti. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Remove pot from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and ½ cup grated Parmesan. Stir egg yolk/Parmesan mixture into the carbonara. Stir in most of the bacon crumbles. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Stir in chicken stock if mixture is too thick.
- Serve in bowls and top with remaining Parmesan, bacon crumbles and chopped parsley.
More Great Recipes: