If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Easy-make, no-bake Japanese style rare cheesecake is like eating a fluffy cloud, perfect for Valentine’s Day.
I’ve never been to Asia, but after trying (and loving) two types of Japanese cheesecakes, I’m ready to visit. You know my obsession with cheesecakes. Have you ever heard of rare cheesecake? When I first saw it I thought it was either a typo or the cake was made with some rare ingredient. So, what is a rare cheesecake?
No-bake cheesecake is called “Rare Cheese Cake” in Japan. Live and learn, ha! —All that's Jas
Makes 8-inch cake
- 8 ounces oreo cookies, crushed
- 8 tablespoons butter (one stick)
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin, unflavored
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup strawberries, plus more to garnish
- Combine crushed cookies with melted butter. You can crush them using a food processor or put them in a Ziploc bag and roll over with rolling pin until finely crushed. Line an 8-inch springform with wax or parchment paper. Press Oreo mixture on the bottom of the pan. Refrigerate.
- In the meantime, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add sugar, heavy cream, vanilla and lemon juice. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over gelatin. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Let cool slightly. If it cools too much and it hardens, microwave for 15-20 seconds. Do not boil.
- Meanwhile, if using, remove stems from strawberries and slice. Line the side of the springform with strawberry slices.
- Gradually beat in gelatin mixture into the cream cheese mixture. Pour over the Oreo crust and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- Gently remove the rim of the springform. Run a knife alongside the rim first, then using a kitchen torch or a hot towel warm up the sides a bit and release it.
- Decorate the cake as desired. Keep refrigerated.