If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A very raw recipe, with an old school taste, but that's the charm. The apples blend smoothly with the doughy base and taste better with every bite. Great for breakfast or a picnic snack, as opposed to a dessert. —Sasa and Jan
Makes 1 cake
- 8 plain white buns
- 250 dcl milk
- 200 g butter
- 200 g white sugar
- 8 eggs
- 150 g walnuts or almonds (optional)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 kg fresh apples
- 50 g white sugar
- Cut up the buns into cubes and pour over the milk. Mix well and let stand for at least 10 minutes to soak up the milk.
- Peel, core and cut apples into medium-sized slices. Add the lemon juice for some extra flavor.
- Whisk egg whites until light and fluffy.
- In a large bowl mix butter and gradually add the egg yolks, sugar, mashed buns and egg whites at the end.
- Butter the tray and spread half of the mix onto the whole of the surface.
- Fill the tray with sliced apples and top with some more sugar, cinnamon and walnuts or almonds (optional). Preheat the oven to 180-200 C.
- Now spread the remaining half of the mix over the top.
- Place into the oven for 45 minutes or until the cake gets a nice golden touch. Serve refrigerated.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake