Author Notes: This breakfast strata with bacon and date is a savory French toast with cheese & bacon, easy to prepare the night before for a delicious brunch/breakfast. —carolinescooking
ounces smoked bacon
clove of garlic
cups cubed bread, crusts removed (eg French bread, sourdough)
tablespoons chopped Medjool dates
cup coarsely grated comte or gruyere cheese
- Dice the bacon and onion relatively small. Cook the bacon in a small/medium skillet/frying pan over a medium heat until meat is cooked, some fat is rendered but not not crisping.
- Add the onion then cook until the onion softens. Crush the garlic and add to pan, stir and cook another minute or two until the bacon is starting to crisp.
- Roughly chop the spinach and add to the pan, a handful or two at a time, stirring in so it wilts down.
- Once it has all been added and has wilted, remove from the heat and set aside. This can be made ahead and refrigerated.
- Put half of the bread in the bottom of an oven dish (approx 8x6in/20x15cm), spread over half the spinach-bacon mixture, then half the dates and half the cheese. Repeat with the rest of the bread, spinach-bacon mixture, dates and cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk (or milk/cream mix - you can sub 1/3 of milk for cream), add a little pepper if you like, and pour it evenly over the dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350F/190C and leave the dish out to warm up to room temperature as the oven heats up.
- Bake uncovered for approx 50min until it puffs up a bit, browns on top and is cooked through.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates