- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Makes 2 dozen
This recipe was from my mother and I am not sure where she got it from.
It was a tradition at Christmas and always part of her Christmas cookie
Platter. These cookies are one of my favorites! —Laura
What You'll Need
1 1/2 cups
Chopped and pitted dates
Toasted rice cereal such as Rice Krispies
Shredded, sweetened coconut
Walnuts, chopped fine
- Melt the butter in a 12 inch skillet on medium heat. Add the sugar, dates and salt and mix well.
- Stir and cook the mixture until the dates have softened and incorporated into the butter. This may take some time because of the dryness of the dates ( possibly 20 to 30 minutes). As the dates start to soften and blend into the butter, reduce the heat to low.
- Remove the pan from the heat and scoop out approximately 1/2 cup of the hot date mixture and stir it into the beaten egg to temper the egg. Incorporate the egg mixture back into the rest of the date mixture, mixing well. Stir in the vanilla. Add the crisp rice and mix well. When the mixture is cool enough to handle but still good and warm, measure out with a small cookie scoop or teaspoon and shape into balls. Working quickly.
- The date balls can be left as is or rolled into shredded, sweetened coconut, finely chopped walnuts or chocolate sprinkles.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator .