If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is not a delicate bread. It's not going to dissolve the moment it hits your tongue. It's husky and hearty and rustic. Despite its wondrous swirls of chocolate and almond butter, it is not overly sweet. The sweetness is dark and deep instead of being fleeting and gritty. The flavors bow and curve, from the subtle plantain base to the rich almond butter to the opaque, muddy chocolate. —AnnieCate
Makes: 1 loaf
cup dates (about 16 dates)
tablespoons cocoa powder
cup almond butter
pounds yellowing riper plantains
cup maple syrup
teaspoon baking power
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon vanilla (optional)
teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Roughly chop the dates. Place in a microwave safe bowl and cover them with 1 cup of water. Microwave for 4 minutes. The dates will soften and absorb most of the water.
- Puree the dates along with the cocoa powder and any unabsorbed water. You should end up with a medium-thickness fudge sauce. Set aside.
- Puree the plantains with the flax eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Manually stir the baking powder and baking soda into the plaintain batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a 8 x 4 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the almond butter to a pourable consistency.
- Pour a layer of the plantain batter in the pan. Spoon a little fudge and a little almond butter on top. The fudge and almond butter will not cover the whole layer.This will make sure that the almond butter and fudge will last for the whole loaf.
- Continue layering batter, fudge, and almond butter. End with a big swirl of fudge on top. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and cacao nibs, if you want. Or whatever you have on hand, or nothing at all.
- Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes. Due to the fudge, a tester will NOT come out clean. Do not overbake waiting for the tester to come out clean. You'll end up with a very dry loaf.
- Allow to cool before slicing. Serve with coffee or tea, with a spoonful of coconut whipped cream if you want.