If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love peanut butter and dates. My recipe is inspired by West African peanut soups and stews. I think that bone-in thighs or cut-up whole chicken would be delicious--just adjust for time. Sautéed tofu would make a tasty vegetarian substitute. —Lorie Brau
- 1.25-1.5 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon minced or crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup pitted medium dates, halved
- 14 1/2 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup hot, prepared chicken broth (or hot water and 1 bouillon cube)
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce (or more for more spice)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (or substitute--see below)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut chicken thighs into four pieces each. Salt and pepper to taste. Saute in 1 T. of oil at medium high heat until seared. Set aside.
- Saute the onions and green pepper in the remaining tablespoon of oil until soft. Add garlic, ginger root and dates and saute for 30 seconds.
- Mix peanut butter, soy sauce, can of tomatoes and sriracha into the hot broth and add to the sautéed onions, peppers, garlic and ginger. Add garam masala, or substitute 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground coriander and 1/2 tsp ground cumin if garam masala is not available.
- Add chicken pieces to the pan and cook covered on medium low for about twenty minutes, until the chicken has absorbed some of the flavor of the sauce. You may add more liquid (broth or water if needed). After it has cooked through, uncover the pan and raise the heat to medium for a few minutes to reduce the sauce. Check seasoning.
- Mix in the chopped cilantro, saving a tablespoon or so to garnish the dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates