If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe dates (excuse the pun) further back than me, but as a child of the 50's this cake was a staple in our home. Simple and delicious it is as close to the original recipe as I recall when baking with our Baba. —Janice Pawlik
Makes 12 medium squares
- 1 cup packed dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Grated lemon rind (organic)
- 1 1/2 cups All purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup Brown or Demerra sugar (loose pack)
- 1 1/2 cups Large Flake Oatmeal*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium sized pot, place dates, water, sugar, lemon juice and rind and cook on medium heat for approximately 15 minutes until dates are soft and thickened, take of heat and set aside.
- In large bowl, place flour, baking powder and soda, rub in butter with tips of fingers or in a mixer, add sugar and oatmeal. Mix well, mixture will hold together but not dry or too wet. Spread half of the mixture in a light greased 9x9 baking pan, pat to press down well into corners, make smooth. Cover with the cooled date mixture spreading evenly. Cover with the remaining oatmeal mixture. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, top should be lightly browned when done. Cool on rack and cut into squares when cooled in pan. Enjoy!
- *In a pinch quick oats may be substituted.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates