If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These savory popovers are perfect by themselves or slathered with honey-pecan butter. They would be great paired with steak (sans butter) or for a fancy brunch (avec butter). Don't let the look of them intimidate you. No special pan or equipment is required--a whisk and a muffin tin will do. —Mary Catherine Tee
cups whole milk, lukewarm
cups AP flour
tablespoons butter, melted (plus more for buttering pan)
teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
cup blue cheese, crumbled fine
salted butter, at room temperature
cup finely chopped pecans
- Adjust oven racks so the top of whatever pan you're using is in the middle of the oven. You can use a standard 12 cup muffin tin, a popover tin, or large muffin tin. Butter the cups and edges generously with melted butter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place eggs in lukewarm water for about 10 minutes before starting recipe.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt until well-combined, about 30 seconds of vigorous whisking or until the milk mixture is yellow (from the yolks).
- Add the flour and beat until frothy, scraping the sides of the bowl periodically. There shouldn't be any lumps in the batter. Whisk in the 3 Tbsp. melted butter.
- With a spatula, fold in the thyme and crumbled blue cheese. Pour batter 3/4 to the top of a buttered tin.
- Once oven has preheated, place the popovers on shelf, making sure the pan is in the middle of the oven (see step 1). If they're too close to the top heating unit, they will brown too quickly.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Without opening the oven door, after the 20 minutes is up, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 12 minutes until they are a rich, golden brown, making sure not to open the oven while they're baking.
- Remove and serve immediately with honey-pecan butter (method below). To make the honey-pecan butter, mix together the stick of butter, honey, and pecans using a whisk or hand mixer.