If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wanted to start a tradition with my daughter. Each year, on her birthday, she would get a homemade birthday cake from Mom. She likes strawberries. This cake and frosting is adapted from a few recipes. I wanted a strawberry cake that didn't involve strawberry Jello or boxed cake mix and a frosting that wasn't so sickly sweet. This produced exactly what I wanted: a moist tender cake with lightly sweet pink frosting that was very stable. I don't know how much the birthday girl liked her cake (she's 2) but her parents sure loved it. —HalfPint
Makes 8" layer cake
Strawberry Cake, adapted from Jennycancook.com
- 1.5 cups / 297g sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup / 396g olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 cup /227 g whole milk
- 2.5 cups / 300g all-purpose flour
- 2.5 teaspoons / 10 g baking powder
- 1/2 ounce / ~15g freeze dried strawberries, ground to fine powder
Strawberry Whipped Cream Frosting, adapted from BraveTart recipe
- 1 ounce / 30g freeze dried strawberries
- 1/2 cup / 100g sugar
- 4 cups / 908g heavy whipping cream
- For the cake: Grease and flour 2 8-inch pans. Or grease and line pans with parchment. In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs for ~1 minute, until slightly thickened. Beat oil and milk into the egg mixture, for ~30 seconds until combined. Gently mix in flour, baking powder, and strawberry powder. Do not over-mix. Pour into pans and bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for ~15 minutes and turn out onto cooling rack to completely cool before frosting.
- For frosting: Grind strawberries and sugar in a food processor, ~1 minute. Add cream and process until the mixture is thick and creamy (almost like hummus), scrapping down the sides of the processor bowl and eliminating any pockets fruit powder. This should take less than 2 minutes. Taste and add more sugar if desired. Extra frosting can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Frost cake with frosting using a spatula or piping bag.