If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The ultimate Italian American classic comfort food gets taken up a notch! This is an incredible version of chicken parmigiana with homemade marinara and smoked mozzarella. —Leigh Suznovich
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 eggs
- 1 dash water
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- canola oil, as needed for pan frying
- 1 cup homemade marinara sauce
- 8 thin slices of smoked mozzarella
- fresh parsley, coarsely chopped as needed for garnish
- First, set up the breading line for the chicken with three big, shallow bowls. In the first bowl mix together the flour, dried onion and dried oregano. In the second bowl whisk together the eggs, water and minced garlic. In the third bowl mix together the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Have a plate handy on the end to hold the breaded chicken.
- Once the breading line is set up fill a cast iron skillet with about an inch and a half of canola oil and heat it over medium high heat to pan fry the chicken. Pre-heat the oven to 350 as well. While the oil gets hot put all 4 chicken breasts through the breading line. Use one hand to coat the chicken in the flour, the other hand to dip it in the egg wash mixture, then back to the first hand to coat it in the breadcrumbs. This keeps it as clean and neat as possible. Then just transfer the chicken to the plate once it is breaded.
- Get the breaded chicken into the hot oil to pan fry on the first side for about 3 minutes to let it get super crisp and golden. Flip then over to get just as crispy and golden on the other side for another 3 minutes, then remove them to a plate lined with paper towel to blot them.
- Move the chicken into a baking dish and top each piece with a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce. Then lay 2 slices of smoked mozzarella on each piece over the marinara to finish assembling the chicken parmigiana. Get the baking dish into the oven to let the chicken parmigiana bake for 15 minutes. The mozzarella will melt gorgeously!
- When time is up, take the baking dish out and let the chicken rest a minute. Then sprinkle finely chopped fresh parsley on top for some green freshness and serve immediately!