Author Notes: Few months ago, I watched Deborah Madison’s recipe from her cook book Vegetable Literacy on Food 52’s Facebook Live and was really intrigued by the combination of ingredients and the simplicity of the dish. That dish was made with Zucchini. But I set out to make my own variation to it. My family and I loved how this simple dish turned out and so I thought of sharing it. Glad I had clicked a picture so that I could share.
The goodness of roasted potatoes with the crunch of hazelnuts, the aroma & beautiful taste of herbs and garlic, and the simplicity of all, makes this dish truly poetic. This makes for a wonderful summer side dish. But who’s stopping you to eat it during winter or rainy season? 🙂 In fact, this can very well be a stand alone snack – instead of french fries, reach out for this one 🙂 —Sonal | Eat More Art
pound Rainbow colored baby potatoes
handfuls Hazelnuts – a handful, roasted
teaspoons Garlic, finely chopped
sprigs Basil, chopped in Chiffonade
sprigs Mint, chopped in chiffonade
teaspoon Tarragon leaves – dried. Can use fresh ones as well.
pinch Himalayan pink salt. Can use normal salt as well
pinch Lemon pepper. Can use normal black pepper powder
tablespoons Olive oil
1/2 - 1
tablespoons Lemon juice
- Turn on the oven to 350 degrees Farenhiet. Chop the baby potatoes in quartets
- Finely chop the garlic. Divide into 2 portions
- Add the potatoes in a bowl, season with freshly ground himalayan pink salt, lemon pepper and some dried tarragon leaves [leave some tarragon leaves for later use], and half of chopped garlic. Add olive oil and mix well.
- Spread it on a Flat oven safe plate in 1 layer and put inside the oven once it is heated up. I used a pizza stone as the plate, which was already hot inside the oven, but you can use any plate. Leave it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost done. After that, turn on the broiler in the oven for about 5 minutes, closely watching the potatoes so that these don’t get burnt. Turn off the oven.
- Roast the hazelnuts (or any nuts) in a plate in microwave at 30 second intervals. Hazelnuts don’t take too long to get roasted so be careful to not burn these.
- Chop the basil and mint leaves in Chiffonade. Chop hazelnuts into tiny squares.
- Once the potatoes are out of the oven, heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, add the remainder of chopped garlic. Saute.
- Add the roasted potatoes. If the potatoes are already roasted well, then saute for a minute and add the chopped basil, mint, more salt and pepper if needed, some more tarragon, lemon juice and chopped hazelnuts. Stir quickly for 1/2 a minute and turn off the heat. If the potatoes need some more roasting/cooking then you can let it cook on the pan before adding all the greens and spices. The key is to not let the greens wither much in the heat.
- Serve it in a bowl as a side dish, garnish with herbs. Enjoy 🙂