If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Super easy mix-everything-together-in-a-bowl recipe for a delightful and delicious sponge cake —Oh Sweet Day!
Makes one 8-inch cake
- SPONGE CAKE
- 200 grams granulated sugar
- 200 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 200 grams all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 100 grams dark chocolate, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 10 strawberries, halved
- 10 strawberries, quartered
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together until you have a smooth and soft batter.
- Divide the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the top. Bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean and the cakes look golden.
- Let cake cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a pairing knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Peel off the parchment paper circles. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Beat the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until it holds stiff peaks.
- To assemble, line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper, or line the sides of a cake ring with parchment paper.
- Place one layer of sponge cake in the bottom of the cake ring. Arrange the cut sides of the strawberry halves against the parchment paper on the inside of the ring. Spoon the whipped cream on the cake layer. Scatter and slightly pressed the quartered strawberries in the whipped cream. Place another sponge cake layer on top. Gently press it down firmly.
- Plastic wrap the cake and place it in the refrigerator to set. At least 2 hours.
- To prepare ganache, place chocolate and heavy cream in a medium heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir the mixture using a wooden spoon until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Release cake from the ring. Peel off parchment paper.
- Pour the ganache over the chilled cake. Use a spatula to quickly push the ganache over the edges of the cake and let it drip down to create the drip effect.
- Garnish with strawberries.
- Cover and refrigerate the cake before serving.