If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These muffins are so light and dainty it's easy to eat three in one sitting – which is exactly what happened when I taste-tested them at The Caker. The brown butter takes a little while to make, but smells incredible and adds a delicious nuttiness. The fresh ginger adds a nice zing. Make sure you serve these warm, slathered with good butter. —Jordan Rondel, The Caker
Makes: 12 small muffins
cup chopped dates
grams plain flour
grams ground almonds
teaspoon baking soda
pinch sea salt
teaspoons grated fresh ginger, (or use 3 tsp ground ginger if you prefer)
large organic eggs
cup whole milk
cup chopped walnuts for topping
Drizzle of good quality salted caramel (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan bake. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cupcake cases.
- Place chopped dates in a bowl with ½ cup boiling water and leave for 5 minutes. Puree in a food processor.
- In saucepan melt butter gently over a low heat, stirring occasionally with a whisk, until the milk solids sink to the bottom and it starts to turn golden brown; this should take about 20 minutes. Cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine dry ingredients and ginger, then gradually add the brown butter, dates, eggs and milk. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into cupcake cases, to about two-thirds full and sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
More Great Recipes: