If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sambharo is a cooked salad (that's a fun oxymoron, isn't it?) made with tadka (tempering) and vegetables like grated carrots and chopped cabbage. The vegetables retain a bite—the only purpose of cooking is to flavor them with seasoned oil of tadka. —Annada Rathi
Serves 3 to 4
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 Serrano pepper, diced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups (150 grams) grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups (120 grams) grated cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 pinch sugar
- Heat oil in a skillet at medium heat. After 3 to 4 minutes, add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds stop popping, add turmeric and Serrano peppers. Sauté to prevent burning.
- Add carrots and cabbage. Stir well.
- Add salt, lime juice, and sugar. Cook for 5 minutes and turn the heat off. The vegetables will lose their raw smell but still have a bite to them.
- Eat it as a salad or a part of thali.
More Great Recipes: