Author Notes: Shallow-fried green chile peppers, smothered in salt post-frying, give a hot kick to a Gujarati meal. But salt tempers the heat. —Annada Rathi
cup vegetable oil
green chile peppers, preferably long green chiles with thin skin
- Heat oil in a skillet. Use a knife to cut a slit along the length of the pepper.
- Shallow-fry the peppers till their skin becomes pale.
- Remove the peppers to a paper napkin to wick the excess oil.
- Pour salt on a flat plate and roll the peppers in salt. Dust to remove the excess.
- Serve with any Indian meal or a thali.