If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here is my Smarty Pants/ Skinny Pants recipe:
Have you tasted Shiela G's brownie brittle? It is delicious but expensive. Here is my lightened up recipe take on Brownie Brittle. Crunchy but not too crunchy, with a lot less fat and calories. To make this a whole grain healthier recipe, I use white whole wheat flour. For less sugar and calories I use Stevia baking blend. I also add a bit of espresso powder to cut the sweetness. To top are mini chocolate chips and toffee bits. Use good quality chocolate chips and cocoa as the flavor depends on it. Just a few thin squares are my perfect little chocolate indulgence...and so easy to bake. —Lorraine Fina Stevenski
Makes 24 squares
- 4 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted OK), 1/2 stick
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, regular size
- 3 tablespoons natural cocoa
- 1/2 cup Truvia baking blend (granulated sugar + stevia)
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (King Arthur is the best!)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Heath toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9X13 rimmed quarter sheet pans with parchment. Spray lightly with canola cooking spray.
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, add the butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir with a large rubber spatula. Return to the microwave for 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each, until the mixtures is completely melted and smooth.
- With a large rubber spatula, stir in the cocoa and sugar; the mixture will be thick and grainy. Stir in the egg whites, milk and vanilla extract; stir just until smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, espresso powder and salt. Gradually stir into the butter/chocolate mixture until smooth and thick.
- Divide the batter between the 2 sheet pans. Take your time and smooth the batter into the corners and evenly spread around the pan. Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips (2 tablespoons on each) and toffee bits (1 tablespoon on each). Bake for 15 minutes or until glossy but still moist. Do not let the edges burn. The brownies will be slightly soft while hot. Remove from the oven and immediately use a pizza cutter to cut 12 squares in each pan. Let the brownies cool completely in the pan. They will harden as they cool.
- Remove from the pan onto a flat surface. Gently break the pieces along the lines. Trim off any burnt or well done edges. Set the pieces on a tray lined with waxed paper to crisp and harden further.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique