If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is extremely simple and shockingly delicious. You could, I suppose, make it fancier by adding some chopped candied ginger or using a ginger-infused simple syrup, but it would detract from the straightforwardness of this recipe. I've used Whole Food's boxed ginger snaps. Trader Joe's would work well too. —Emily
Makes: roughly 1 quart
cups heavy whipping cream
cup whole milk
teaspoon vanilla extract
cups ginger snap cookies
- Heat half of the cream in a small pot with the sugar and the pinch of salt. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat, and add to a bowl with the rest of the cream, the whole milk, and the vanilla extract. Chill in the refrigerator until completely cooled.
- While the mixture chills, place the ginger snaps in a bag, and gently smash them using a meat pounder. You want a mix of smaller crumbs and larger chunks.
- After chilling is complete, freeze the mixture, following the directions of your preferred ice cream maker.
- When the mixture has transformed into a (still slightly soft) ice cream, add the ginger snap crumbles, and let it churn 30 more seconds to fully incorporate the cookies.
- Put the entire mixture in the freezer for at least an hour, which allows the cookies to soften and the flavors to incorporate fully with each other.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique
More Great Recipes: