Author Notes: This is extremely simple and shockingly delicious. You could, I suppose, make it fancier by adding some chopped candied ginger or using a ginger-infused simple syrup, but it would detract from the straightforwardness of this recipe. I've used Whole Food's boxed ginger snaps. Trader Joe's would work well too. —Emily
Makes: roughly 1 quart
cups heavy whipping cream
cup whole milk
teaspoon vanilla extract
cups ginger snap cookies
- Heat half of the cream in a small pot with the sugar and the pinch of salt. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat, and add to a bowl with the rest of the cream, the whole milk, and the vanilla extract. Chill in the refrigerator until completely cooled.
- While the mixture chills, place the ginger snaps in a bag, and gently smash them using a meat pounder. You want a mix of smaller crumbs and larger chunks.
- After chilling is complete, freeze the mixture, following the directions of your preferred ice cream maker.
- When the mixture has transformed into a (still slightly soft) ice cream, add the ginger snap crumbles, and let it churn 30 more seconds to fully incorporate the cookies.
- Put the entire mixture in the freezer for at least an hour, which allows the cookies to soften and the flavors to incorporate fully with each other.